
The challenge for me this week was designer's block — something I've never encountered before. While the immigration story itself was an interesting concept, the art options were limited. Obviously many of us were thinking the same thing: street signs and/or maps. And although this type of concept makes sense and was executed well by many, it doesn't get beyond a lot of the stereotypes associated with immigrants. Something that I tried to consider was the fact that many immigrants are not, in fact, illegal, and are really just having a difficult time getting citizenship and establishing themselves in America. I feel like there could've been a lot more done as far as concept development, and I personally consider my own design as having fallen short.


There was a triumph this week as well. I have had issues in the past teaching myself Illustrator, and after this week, I feel like I can finally be categorized as proficient. I constructed the "DO NOT ENTER" sign on my cover from scratch, focusing on making it look realistic while still being identifiable as an illustration, not a photo.
Next week I will be able to report on the Shutter Graffiti assignment, as well as how the search for art for 2/14's Short Talk turned out.
tbw.

No comments:
Post a Comment