The content of How is distinctly graphic design-oriented. All types of graphic design are incorporated, including the business aspects, top industry designers, finding design inspiration in unexpected places, etc. Readers of How are primarily graphic or page designers, but I can imagine artists, writers, and product designers would also read it. We as magazine designers can use this magazine a) for pure inspiration, b) to see historical content with a modern twist, and c) learn about resources available to us from How's ads. There are ads for types of papers, stock photography and illustration websites, font websites, software, books, etc.
It's clear inside How that interest takes priority over order in every single page of the magazine. Ads, departments, and features all show fabulous visual interest, but often I find it difficult to make my way through the page logically, as seen below:


How also uses a grid in most, if not all of its editorial content. While there may be the occasional stray element on the page, text columns are always even and a lot of the time the page elements are symmetrical. I enjoy this as a designer that likes to "follow the rules," because I am often intimidated as a visual reader by arrogant or disorganized design. However, like I said in class, I am working on pioneering new David Carson-esque techniques in my own work, and hopefully I will be able to pull it off in my White Collar Crime cover this week.
tbw.

No comments:
Post a Comment