Meredith Prototype: Our group's prototype magazine (ReadyMade 2) is called Flux, and it's meant for a younger audience containing people in transitional phases of life (i.e. moving to college, moving into first apartment, embarking on the real world for the first time, moving into first house, etc.). The name, Flux, is really great because it means "flow" in Latin and completely applies to those in transitional phases. It is obviously related to ReadyMade in some way, but only very minimally. Our publishing group wanted to take it in more of a lifestyle-related direction than ReadyMade while still keeping the home design and project-oriented focus. I agree with them in their thinking that there isn't a magazine quite like this one that they've thought up, so hopefully it will turn out well. My cover, 2 depts., and feature spreads are below.

This week I also designed my concept for Vox's Get Out of Columbia Issue. I was inspired to design this travel feature well with a "Catch Me If You Can" motif (arrows of the same color/different tint, "moving" type (Helvetica Neue Light), etc. Although my design wasn't picked, I think it had a lot of transferrable parts that would have worked really well for designing the section to be adaptable, and the layout was very hierarchical, in my opinion. Andrea's looked great, though, so I'm sure we will turn out a great section. Below are my splash page and three sample spreads.



Third, but definitely not least, I designed Short Talk this week. Kristin had some great suggestions, as always, for tweaking the design (and more than tweak on the secondary story's design, which was originally a mess), so I thank her for how great the page looks now.

That's enough design work for this week!
tbw.






3 comments:
During the Flux presentations, I really liked your spread about refurbishing old items. I thought it was very clean and well organized, but still had a bit of an edge. Great job!
your flux prototype is very nicely done. it's very nice to look at and i'd pick it up from the newsstand.
I love the colors in your flux prototype. I also think short talk turned out really nicely. Good job!
Post a Comment