Monday, March 3, 2008

WEEK SIX: you can't miss.

This week, you can't miss Parachute Fonts, a blog right here on Blogger. Check it out at your leisure, as I have added it to my list of "Blogs of Interest." It contains a lot of good info about developing fonts, including some of the ins and outs of creating a font. I guess my obsession is rubbing off on my boyfriend, because he sent me this link.

Also, the following video, courtesy of ilovetypography.com, is a lecture presentation by Ellen Lupton, the author of our textbook "Thinking With Type." She's awesome because, as is said, she's a minority in the field of typography and type design.


A third and final awesome "you can't miss" this week is ilovetypography.com's post series called "So You Want to Create a Font," parts one and two. It is the most complete guide I've ever seen to starting to think about how type is designed, so you should all check it out. It also talks a little in part one about the different software you can use to create a font. I'm bookmarking these pages for that time down the road when I'll start my own...

tbw.

2 comments:

LED said...

I went to the Parachute Fonts blog and the first post got me reading it right away. It talks about the making of a font, Champion Script Pro. I guess I had never really thought about possible inspirations behind different fonts. The one in this post was inspired by the manuscript of a real person from the 18th century. How amazing is that?

DSÑO said...

It was really interesting to learn about how to create your own font. It would something really fun to try out -now I just need to get the awesome software and I'll start scanning all the fonts I would like to create!