Tuesday, February 26, 2008

WEEK FIVE: critique.

Exciting week! I'm really looking forward to my Short Talk page running next Thursday — so excited that it's already almost done. Here's the draft:



The story is about school shootings, high school and college, and why they continue to be such a shock, etc. My concept is shown by common images associated with school shooting scenes (i.e. guns, bullets, cell phones, desks and chairs). The pencil stroke on the illustrations and the notebook paper background is attempting to evoke the feeling of a student doodling, and the miscellaneous scratch marks on the page are meant to represent the anger and extreme emotions many shooters are plagued by.



I also worked briefly on a poster for the MAP Summit. I definitely suggest you all attend, among others, the session with Angela Pierchorowicz. She supervised my internship last Summer at St. Louis Magazine and she is hilarious. Also, her session will be based on facts; she really does do great design on a small budget. Her session is on Friday, March 7 at 11:30 a.m., in case you were wondering.

tbw.

3 comments:

LED said...

I like the work you've done for Short Talk. It immediately says school with the lined notebook paper. Great job!

Anne said...

You did a great job with Short Talk this week. It can be hard to design for a sensitive topic like that and still be edgy--I think you found a clever solution.

DSÑO said...

I don't mean to just repeat what Lindsey and Anne have said, but your Short Talk section looks great! It's very content-driven and appropriate for the subject.