The Shutter Graffiti assignment (above) was low-stress, yet still slightly frustrating. We were asked to photograph letters from around the city of Columbia and turn them into a document somewhat resembling a logo. I, obviously, chose to find the letters in my name. When I was searching for letters, I attempted to find signs with common colors, but it didn't end up exactly right, hence the black and white version. Here are the sources of my Shutter Graffiti:
T—Boone County National Bank (E. Broadway)
A—Okii Mama (Providence and Nifong)
R—Perlow Stevens Gallery (E. Broadway)
Y—Uprise Bakery (E. Broadway)
N—Bank of America (Providence and Nifong)
B—Bluestem (S. Ninth St.)
W—Panera Bread (inside, Providence and Nifong)
O—Peace Nook (E. Broadway)
O—Swank Boutique (E. Broadway)
D—Panera Bread (outside, Providence and Nifong)
Unfortunately, I would not use this assignment or a variation of it as a logo. I am just not convinced that it is cohesive enough for that purpose. If I were to do this assignment over, I probably would have 1) chosen all darker colored letters and 2) chosen all sans serif type. This, in my opinion, would have been easier to play around with that the letters I got. If you'd like to see the original (i.e. not cut out) letters, check out my Flickr site.
The search for Short Talk art this past week was challenging, to say the least. The editors didn't exactly get me enough info about the directions of their stories, and one changed drastically at the last minute, so I was left scrambling for art choices. The barcode (above) will be used for the Real ID Short Talk anchor, hopefully with the real headline taking the place of the dummy one I've inserted. The story is basically about the proposed standardized national ID cards and how they are invasive and big brother-y on the part of the government. Missouri is a state that opposes the proposal, so I figured the barcode would be a graphical and simple way to illustrate the story. I also have an illustration of a fingerprint that can be used as supplemental art.
This map (above) of downtown Columbia and its bars with rumored bad reputations is most likely not going to be used. The map's coloring was meant to denote a club atmosphere with a dark background and neon colors. The direction of the story changed significantly, so I will be meeting with its editor tomorrow. The printed copy of Vox next Thursday will answer any of your questions about the final art...
I personally was stumped on how to illustrate this nightclub myths story. The usual nightclub photos were rejected as an idea for a few logistical and ethical reasons. I have also considered tweaking the map to show the issues at each bar/club (for example, for a bar that has a reputation for drugging cocktails, the map would have a pull-out showing a cocktail drink). Any suggestions?
That's all for now. Next week I'll be sure to include PDFs of Short Talk.
tbw.

3 comments:
Nice colors on the map, especially considering the story. Are you taking information graphics or was this done at Vox?
I'm not in infographics. This was just a simple map done in Illustrator.
I like the map as well. It really connects with the content. I would be wary adding other elements because they might make the graphic too cluttered and hard to understand.
also, thank you for using a colored font w your black background - much easier to read than white fonts!
Post a Comment