
This week, I was designing the Vox cover for the True/False Film Festival issue, as you can see above. This is one my final cover versions, and probably my favorite. It was quite the competition this week. We all had similarly themed ideas for the cover, and three very different covers were chosen as the final three. I could obviously be wrong, but I think mine was chosen partly because it is striking and graphical, and it strays from the oh-so-enticing black background cover we have been using lately.
Strangely, it was difficult to depart from the typical old movie paraphernalia (film strips were used in 4 or 5 of the 7 designs) and the logo was also hard not to use. Another version more similar to my original can be seen below.

And this is my original cover:
The amount of white space above the larger text was changed per editors' requests. After looking at it against the newer versions, I agree. I did like the evenness of the text and the hierarchy that existed on this version, but unless more cover lines were written, it doesn't entirely work.
Below are the other covers I designed. I was rather proud of the film strip cover because of the transparent overlapping parts (I thought they looked nice) and the white space was amazing to me. But I also agree that it was a little too generic and has been done time and time again.
I wish I hadn't had to even turn in this cover (below). I hated it by the time last Thursday's critique rolled around. It was the first one I threw on the page, and I like the colors because they follow the True/False ad campaign colors this year, but it was wayyyyy too simple and boring and generic all at the same time.

I have to say that Kaitlin's tree cover was also great, and if you haven't seen it, you should check it out on her blog.
tbw.



5 comments:
i like all of your covers for different reasons. I also an a big fan of your transparency in the film strip cover. I like the yellow-ish background on the simple logo cover. I love the white space on the newest type cover. However the font is kind of throwing me off, the S in false is kind of making it look like the letters are all slanted at different angles just slightly.
i think my eyes are playing tricks on me.
I like how you are able to design with typography. I've noticed in your work that you don't ignore the potential of presenting things in type. There are ways to do it that can MAKE a design. Like Andrea's cover this week.
You have a real talent for that that I both admire and envy. Even the first slide of your history presentation was lovely.
I really loved your cover for the True/False issue. I always want to do something like that with type but can never get it work out right. Props for making it look unbelievably cool!
I LOVE TYPOGRAPHY -so I loved what you did for this cover. However, I want to congratulate you for all your work on the different cover options. That just goes to show that the more cover designs you make, the better feedback you get and the better your designs turn out to be :-) GOOD JOB!
By the way, what was the discussion you guys had about the number of lines you included on the cover (taking "Columbia, MO" off, etc.)? Just curious...
i like how you minimized the logo of the festival and put it in the 8. i was actually a big fan of your yellow cover. i think if you had made the logo less dominant by fading it or placing it behind the text it wouldve worked better. but maybe even if you had just spelled out true false randomly throughout the movie titles, it couldve stayed simple and clear.
Post a Comment