1. Variety. The sheer variety of work was amazing, and we didn't even get to everyone's portfolio yet. I especially enjoyed the variety of types of publications that were shown (i.e. newspaper vs. magazine vs. advertisement/marketing/promotional materials vs. posters, etc. etc.) as well as the variety of technical strengths (i.e. photo layout vs. illustration, and other) we have within this amazing class.
2. Nerves. It seemed a little tense in the room. I know when my portfolio was being critiqued by the class I was very nervous. Not necessarily for the results but for the sheet vulnerability that goes along with putting your entire body of work out on a table for your peers to look at and judge.
3. Fonts. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing endless number fonts used in our designs. It really allows us to see those obscure or unknown fonts in practice.
4. Curiosity. I was surprised at how many questions we, as a group, asked about each others' portfolios. I personally liked when members of the class had questions about mine because it gave me a chance to explain my work better.
5. Improvement. I think some of us have this preconceived notion that our portfolios suck and that everyone else's is so much better. But the thing I noticed, partly because of the framing of Jan's critique sheet, was that we all still have room for improvement.
These are just my thoughts and opinions... Feel free to add to them or correct me.
tbw.

1 comment:
Taryn,
I agree completely with your thoughts on your portfolio critiques. I also discussed it on my blog. I was amazed at the number of design opportunities that I had missed over the years. I wish I could go back to freshmen year with a clear vision of what I want to do and then take full advantage of what the university has to offer.
Post a Comment