First, I'd like to point out that these guys, my idols Jonathan Hoefler and Tobias Frere-Jones, know what they're doing. The commission for Archer was from Martha Stewart Living, and the description on the web page noted the goals of the typeface as a slab serif: personable, straightforward, credible, while being pretty, hard-working, and frank. In reading this, H&FJ accomplished these exact characteristics with Archer. My favorite aspect of the typeface is the "ball terminals" found on many of the lowercase letters and numerals. They accomplish the "pretty" characteristic well, and contrast with the slab serifs themselves.
H&FJ also acknowledge on their website, typography.com, that the geometric nature of Archer, intermixed with slight typewriter elements create the "frank" characteristic. I have to say that this is an astonishing combination that only brilliant minds like theirs would think to attempt.
The only downside to Archer: the complete collection is $399 for one computer. That makes me tear up a little. I've hinted to my boyfriend that Archer might be a nice gift...which is strange enough in itself.
tbw.

No comments:
Post a Comment